Faculty of General Medicine
610027, Kirov, 112, Karl Marx st., room 126, 127
Tel.: 007 (8332) 37-48-62
Fax: 007 (8332) 64-07-34
The faculty of General Medicine in Kirov SMU was founded in 1987 by the decision of Scientific council of Kirov affiliate of Perm SMU and therefore marked the beginning of higher medical school in Kirov. The faculty provides medical, educational and research institutions of Kirov region and other parts of the Russian Federation and even abroad.
Nowadays the faculty of General Medicine without any doubt is the most significant department of Kirov SMU. Annually 200-240 students are admitted on state-financed basis. Education lasts for 6 years in intramural form. Educational process is organized in 44 departments of academic and clinical profile.
At the faculty of General Medicine various subjects are gradually taught: humanitarian and social economic subject s, mathematical, medical and biological subjects, and professional clinical disciplines.
1680 students study at the faculty of General Medicine in 2017-2018 (1424 of them study on a state-financed basis, 256 – on extra budgetary basis). The faculty has a good material and technical base, which contributes to providing a high-level education and research activities. Students’ training in academic disciplines is held in 3 educational buildings. Teaching of clinical disciplines is carried out at the premises of Kirov SMU clinic and 20 medical and preventive Kirov establishments, supplied with modern diagnostic and therapeutic equipment. Over the past few years the infrastructure of Kirov SMU developed significantly, new training, laboratory and diagnostic equipment was purchased.
At the departments of the faculty of General Medicine a lot of educational research schools were formed, which are famous not only in Russia, but even abroad, glorifying the faculty with its accomplishments in different spheres of medicine, primarily in the sphere of liver surgery, cardiology and cardio surgery, obstetrics and gynecology, physiology, ophthalmology and eye microsurgery, healthcare organization, rheumatology, dermatovenereology, neurology and neurosurgery, infectious diseases and psychiatry.
Students of the faculty of General Medicine are involved in Students Research Societies, headquartered at each department. Society members take part in scientific conferences in Russia and abroad, which are held annually. This activity is coordinated by the Students scientific society of Kirov SMU (Nomus) coordinates its work. The best students and students scientific society volunteers are awarded with prizes, diplomas, Kirov region governor’s and president’s scholarships and others. Education efficiency indices show that for the past 5 years the faculty makes 98% of state demand for General Medicine specialists. Along with that there are only 2% of expelled students. Over the past 3 years more than 100 students from the faculty of General Medicine graduated from the academy with honors.
General administration of the faculty is carried out by the scientific council of the faculty under the guidance of the dean I.A. Chastoedova. The faculty consists of 12 academic departments.
Over the years of its existence, more than 5000 doctors have been trained on the faculty of General Medicine. Kirov SMU alumni successfully work in different regions of the Russian Federation and in neighboring countries, in the USA, Germany, Pakistan, Yemen, Syria, Palestine, Israel and many other countries.
Departments of the faculty of General Medicine
- Obstetrics and gynecology department
- Clinical therapy department
- Clinical surgery department
- Dermatovenereology department
- Infectious diseases department
- Social health and healthcare department
- General surgery department
- Ophthalmology department
- Oncology department
- Propaedeutics of internal diseases department
- Family medicine and polyclinic therapy department
- Topographic anatomy and operative surgery department
Basic courses of action of General Medicine faculty
- Training of high-qualified staff in General Medicine specialty (31.05.01)
- Management, planning, control and staff assistance of educational process in accordance with the curriculum and federal educational standard.
- Organization and control for scientific and educational work at faculty departments: lectures, seminars, practical and credit classes, review sessions, students’ self-guided work.
- Organizing of pedagogic work with students for further formation of high moral standards and deep interest to professional sphere;
- Getting students involved in cultural activities both in Kirov SMU and as part of municipal, regional, interregional and international scientific, social, entertaining and cognitive activity. Innovative activity and informational support of training process. International activity as part of specialists training in basic educational program.
- Innovation activities and development of informational technologies.
- International affairs connected with teaching and training foreign students.
Faculty of General Medicine deanery
Chastoedova Irina Aleksandrovna
Dean of the Faculty of General Medicine, Head of the Department of Normal Physiology, PhD, M.D.
Kuklina Svetlana Anatolyevna
Deputy Dean of the Faculty of General Medicine, PhD
Kulakova Irina Vladimirovna
Shtyll Julia Sergeevna
Smirnova Galina Sergeevna